Recipe by Super San Mateo Chefs
Absolutely delicious recipes adapted from Williams-Sonoma Chicken cookbook. This curry is fairly mild. If you prefer more heat and spice, add more curry powder or some red pepper.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Very good and easy to prepare, don't be put off by the instructions because in fact this is very straightforward. I used breast fillets, ground almonds rather than peanuts, and Roasted garam masala for the curry powder. My whole family ate this.. normally the girls are put off by the 'curry' word, but they enjoyed this, that peanut butter/coconut milk combo is a real winner! Thanks for a lovely recipe, made for Unrated Asian Tag game
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups medium grain rice, cooked according to package directions
- 2 teaspoons saffron
- 1⁄2 lb snow peas, trimmed
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts, ground
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil and cook all sides of the chicken pieces until lightly browned. Remove chicken from pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add carrots and celery and cook until softened.
- Add shallots, ginger and garlic and cook until shallots soften.
- Add curry powder, stir for 15 seconds and pour in the stock.
- Return chicken to the pot. Add water to barely cover the chicken. Heat to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer uncovered until chicken is fully cooked (no pink). Internal chicken should be approximately 170°F.
- Prepare rice according to package instructions. Half way through rice preparation, add the saffron.
- Stir in peanut butter. Whisk coconut milk and cornstarch in a separate bowl. Add to pot and bring to a simmer.
- In a sauté pan, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add snow peas and toss for one minute. Add 2 tablespoons of water and cook until crispy.
- To serve, place chicken on top of rice and spoon with sauce. Place snow peas on top and garnish with the peanuts.