Pierre Dance's Note:
I got this from my friend Becca. It's wonderful! Especially good served with Risoto or a Rice Pilaf. This dish freezes well. It also charms guests. I get asked for the recipe often.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 chicken breasts, skinned, cut in half. if you like dark meat use 4 thighs, skinned and deboned
- 29.58 ml flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1.23 ml dried sage
- 29.58 ml ghee
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalk celery, chopped
- 12 baby carrots, chopped
- 118.29 ml dry sherry
- 354.88 ml chicken stock, homemade is best
- 9.85 ml tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 piece orange zest, 2 inches by 1 inch. Outer skin only, the white inner skin is bitter
- 2.46 ml dried sage
- 2.46 ml dried rosemary, crumbled
- 44.37 ml red wine vinegar
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 14.79 ml orange liqueur
- 7.39 ml orange zest
- 8 orange slices (to garnish)
- 1Place Flour, Salt, Pepper, and Sage in a bag, shake to mix.
- 2Add Chicken, shake well to coat.
- 3Heat a dutch oven over nedium high heat.
- 4When hot, add Ghee and Oil.
- 5Add Chicken, cook 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towel.
- 6Add Onion, Celery, and Carrots, cook 'til onions are golden, 7-8 minutes.
- 7Add Sherry, cook 1 minute.
- 8Add chicken stock, Tomato Paste, Garlic, strips of Orange Zest, Sage, and Rosemary.
- 9Bring to a simmer.
- 10Return the Chicken to the dutch oven.
- 11Simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
- 12While this is cooking, combine the Vinegar and Sugar in a heavy sauce pan, heat over medium high heat, stirring all the while. reduce to 1 TBS.
- 13Remove the Chicken.
- 14Strain ths sauce into the vinegar mixture. Discard solids.
- 15Bring sauce to a boil over medium high heat.
- 16Cook for 5 minutes, stir often.
- 17Whisk in the Cornstarch mixture and grated Orange Peel, cook 'til thickened.
- 18Adjust seasoning.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken in Orange Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (310 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 476.2
- Calories from Fat 190
- Total Fat 21.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 65.4 mg
- Sodium 535.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 19.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: