Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this from my friend Becca. It's wonderful! Especially good served with Risoto or a Rice Pilaf. This dish freezes well. It also charms guests. I get asked for the recipe often.
- 2 chicken breasts, skinned, cut in half. if you like dark meat use 4 thighs, skinned and deboned
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 12 baby carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock, homemade is best
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 pieces orange zest, 2 inches by 1 inch. Outer skin only, the white inner skin is bitter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 1⁄2 tablespoon orange zest
- 8 orange slices (to garnish)
- Place Flour, Salt, Pepper, and Sage in a bag, shake to mix.
- Add Chicken, shake well to coat.
- Heat a dutch oven over nedium high heat.
- When hot, add Ghee and Oil.
- Add Chicken, cook 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towel.
- Add Onion, Celery, and Carrots, cook 'til onions are golden, 7-8 minutes.
- Add Sherry, cook 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock, Tomato Paste, Garlic, strips of Orange Zest, Sage, and Rosemary.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Return the Chicken to the dutch oven.
- Simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
- While this is cooking, combine the Vinegar and Sugar in a heavy sauce pan, heat over medium high heat, stirring all the while. reduce to 1 TBS.
- Remove the Chicken.
- Strain ths sauce into the vinegar mixture. Discard solids.
- Bring sauce to a boil over medium high heat.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stir often.
- Whisk in the Cornstarch mixture and grated Orange Peel, cook 'til thickened.
- Adjust seasoning.