Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
I created this recipe when I was running a Lowcarb Diabetic Email List.
Make and share this Chicken in Orange Cream, Low Carb Diabetic recipe from Food.com.
- 4 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, partially frozen
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions, including tops
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 (1 g) packets Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon soy flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry tarragon, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon curry powder (don't overdo it!)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 orange wedges, for garnish
- Keeping chicken breasts partially frozen, cut them into thin slices.
- Let thaw.
- Sprinkle breast meat with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter and oil in large frying pan over medium high heat.
- Quickly cook chicken slices in batches, turning until lightly browned but not totally cooked through keeping them very tender.
- Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Pour out oil and wipe out pan and start again and continue to cook remaining chicken slices in this manner until all the chicken is browned.
- Pour off and discard drippings, leaving any browned bits in bottom of pan.
- Mix together garlic, onion, orange juice, orange peel and wine and add to the pan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring; remove from heat.
- Stir Splenda, tarragon, curry, and soy flour into sour cream; then stir sour cream into wine mixture.
- Return to heat and cook, stirring, until sauce comes to gentle boil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and add back the cooked chicken tossing to cover with sauce and let simmer a couple minutes to just finish off the chicken and until the sauce has slightly thickened.
- If it becomes too thick, add a bit of chicken broth.
- Garnish with orange wedges.
- You might squeeze the orange wedge's juice over all your serving, but be careful or the carbs will add up (About 3-5 carbs per wedge).
I really liked this. It seemed to have a strong orange taste to it. everyone enjoyed it! And it didn't even hurt my diabetic friend's numbers. :)