Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe was handed down to me by Martha and Arturo Saenz while I was in Costa Rica.
Make and share this Chicken in Mushroom Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- Remove chicken skin.
- Dice onion, pepper, and tomatoes.
- Dice half of the mushrooms, and slice the other half.
- In a large pot, sauté pepper and onion in oil until onion just begins to turn light brown.
- Add tomatoes and continue to sauté until tomatoes give off a good deal of water.
- Add chicken to pot making sure that the chicken touches the bottom of the pot.
- Add salt to taste.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook for 45-60min stirring or flipping chicken every 5-15 minutes as needed.
- Remove chicken and place on a baking sheet.
- Dissolve soup into water and stir into the mixture.
- Add mushrooms to pot, increase heat to high, and stir periodically while keeping covered.
- Remove cover for a thicker sauce.
- Cook approx. 10 minutes until desired consistency is reached. Pour sauce over chicken.
- For a different effect, strain the sauce first so there are no mushrooms.