Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Sweet Marsala wine makes a tasty tipsy sauce for this simple chicken dish. Serve with a mixture of tender steamed veggies.
- 6 chicken breast fillets
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 shallots, sliced
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 7⁄8 cup marsala
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- Slice the chicken breasts in half lengthways. Mix together flour, salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Coat the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour.
- In a casserole dish heat the olive oil. Fry the chicken until browned on all sides, around 10 minutes.
- Add the shallots and fry for 5 minutes. Add chicken stock, Marsala wine, vinegar, oregano and bay leaves.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat so that the sauce is simmering. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a warm serving plate. Increase the heat under the casserole dish and cook the sauce briskly until reduced and thickened.
- Serve the chicken with the Marsala sauce and steamed veggies of your choice.