1/1 Photo of Chicken in Lettuce Leaves
A few days ago there was a request of what to do with lots of lettuce, which can be frozen--while I am not sure if this can be frozen or not, it seems like a wonderful dish to use up lots of lettuce (and not make salad!). There is a lot of chopping/dicing in this recipe so by using a food processor prep time will be reduce substancially.Bon Appetit (June 1982)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g chicken breast, boned, sliced and cut into cubes (2 cups chicken cubes)
- 1 egg white
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2 green chilies, cored, seeded and cut into cubes (1/2 cup)
- 10-12 water chestnuts, cut into small cubes (1/2 cup)
- 118.29 ml celery, diced
- 44.37 ml carrots, diced
- 4.92 ml ginger, chopped
- 44.37 ml green onions, chopped
- 9.85 ml garlic, chopped
- 29.58 ml sherry wine
- 7.39 ml soy sauce
- 7.39 ml chili paste
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml water
- 473.18 ml peanut oil
- 2.46 ml sesame oil
- 1 head lettuce, cored and leaves seperated
- 1In a bowl combine chicken, egg white, 1 tablespoon cornstarch and salt together. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2In another bowl combine next 5 ingredients (chilies - ginger).
- 3In a small bowl or cup combine green onions and garlic.
- 4In a fourth bowl or cup combine sherry, soy sauce, chili paste and sugar.
- 5Blend remaining cornstarch (1 tablespoon) and water in a small cup.
- 6Over high heat, heat oil in a wok or large skillet. When oil starts to smoke add chicken in batches and cook, stirring for 1 1/2 - 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- 7Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the oil and return wok to high heat. Add water chestnut mixture to wok and cook, stirring constantly for 30 seconds. Stir in green onion mixture and cook stirring for 10 seconds.
- 8Return chicken to wok and cook stirring constantly 30 seconds.
- 9Add sherry mixture and sesame oil.
- 10Restir dissolved cornstarch before adding to wok. Cooking stirring constantly, 30 seconds.
- 11Transfer mixture to a heated bowl.
- 12Spoon mixture into lettuce leaves, and fold over to enclose mixture.
- 13Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken in Lettuce Leaves
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1264.4
- Calories from Fat 1074
- Total Fat 119.3 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 72.6 mg
- Sodium 548.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 27.1 g