Prep 15 mins
Cook 47 mins
- 3 lbs chicken
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemongrass, Minced
- 1 teaspoon chile, Ground
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce (nuoc mam)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon caramel sauce
- 1 cup water
- Rinse chicken and dry well.
- Cut into small pieces.
- Peel garlic and slice finely.
- Cut onion into halves lengthwise and then cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch strips.
- Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add a pinch of salt, garlic and onion.
- Fry over medium heat until onion becomes translucent.
- Add lemon grass and chili.
- Fry 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add chicken and cook until lightly browned.
- Add fish sauce, sugar and caramel sauce.
- Mix well.
- Add 1 cup water and cook 45 minutes or until chicen is tender.
- Stir occasionally and add more water if necessary.
- CARAMEL SAUCE: Mix 1/2 c sugar with 4 tablespoons of water in heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and let boil until mixture changes colour.
- Turn heat down to low and heat until brown.
- Add 1/2 cup water to mixture.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and store in a jar in the refrigerator.