Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
North Indian preparation of Chicken in gravy
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 8 chicken legs
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 onion, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons ginger
- 1 small tomatoes, cut in pieces
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon powdered turmeric (haldi)
- 1 -2 green chili pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 cup water
- Clean chicken with skin removed.
- In a dutch oven pot heat 2 tbs oil and 2 tbs ghee on medium heat, add cumin seeds.
- Wait for the cumin to start to turn color, then add onions, and saute for approx 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook for another 5 minutes or until the onions are browned.
- Add tomato paste, chopped tomato, turmeric, garam masala, green chili, and about 1 cup of water.
- Cook mixture for approx 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low to medium-low heat for about 40 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Gravy should not be watery; should be a thicker gravy, like a stew. Add coriander for garnish.