Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
We just love the tangy sauce with this tender, delicious chicken. And it's on the lighter side!
Make and share this Chicken in Garlic-Vinegar Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs chicken pieces (bone-in, thighs, drumsticks and or breasts, skin removed, trimmed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt, plus a pinch, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 7 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup minced shallot
- 16 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄3 cup sherry wine vinegar or 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh chives
- Pat chicken pieces dry with paper towels and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil and butter in a large heavy casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add half the chicken pieces and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to a large plate. Add 2 teaspoons oil to the pot. Add the remaining chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to the plate.
- Heat 2 more teaspoons oil. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until the shallots are soft and lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add vinegar and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pot. Pour in broth and then carefully nestle the thyme sprigs among the chicken pieces (or stir in dry thyme).
- Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and simmer over medium-low heat until the chicken is very tender, about 50 minutes.
- Just before the chicken is done, whisk sour cream, mustard, tomato paste and flour in a small bowl until smooth. Combine tomatoes, chives, the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and pinch of salt in another small bowl; reserve for
- When the chicken is done, remove to a plate, discarding the thyme sprigs (if using). Stir the sour cream mixture into the sauce; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, return the chicken to the sauce and reheat, about 1 minute. Serve garnished with the tomato mixture.
A very nice dinner. Would be great served over rice. The tomato "salsa" on top was a nice touch. I will add a little more vinegar next time as it seemed to all kind of cook out. I would have liked a little more tang! All in all a great dish and really good leftovers too! (I pulled the meat off the bone and mixed it in the sauce with the leftover tomatoes).