Recipe by kzbhansen
These are dumplings with the chicken as a filling. VERY VERY good. Enjoy.
Top Review by Susie D
This tasted good, but I had trouble with the recipe so I am not rating the recipe. I ended up adding more liquid to the pot as the dumplings started sticking. I finally ended up lifting them out out the pan and baking them to try to salvage dinner. I made gravy from additional chicken stock, there was no liquid left. I can see this recipe does work in the photo and hope others have a better experience.
- 2 lbs chicken legs with thigh
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, about 6 inches each
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) condensed chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can water
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 tablespoons milk
- chicken gravy (either made from stock, jarred or packaged)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook chicken covered, with onion, celery, broth, water and 1 tsp salt, 30 minutes until chicken is tender.
- Skin, bone and dice chicken.
- Strain stock, skim off excess fat.
- Combine chicken, 2 tbsp melted butter, parsley and onion salt.
- Sift flour with baking powder and remaining salt.
- Combine eggs, milk and 2 Tbsp melted butter, stir into flour mixture to make a soft dough.
- Roll into a 8x10-inch rectangle on a floured board.
- Spread chicken mixture over the dough.
- Roll up from the short side as for a jelly roll.
- Heat 1 cup chicken stock to boiling in a large skillet.
- Cut dumpling roll into 6 slices.
- Place cut side down in simmering stock.
- Cover, turn heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.
- With reserved stock make a gravy or prepare your gravy.
- Serve with gravy.