Recipe by Good Looking Cooking
An excellent dish for a picnic as you serve this cold. Comes from my handwritten book of tried and tested recipes, this is a firm family favourite in summer and is always requested, especially when we go on a picnic. Whilst the recipe states to use whole chicken pieces I find breaking the chicken into smaller pieces allows the sauce to penetrate each piece with a very tasty mild, curry mayonnaise flavour.
- 8 skinless chicken thighs or 8 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large onions, sliced into rings
- 5 ml salt
- 25 ml oil
- 15 ml curry powder
- 15 ml vinegar
- 30 ml apricot jam
- 250 ml mayonnaise
- 75 ml water
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the chicken with salt.
- place in a saucepan with the water and cook till done.
- Set the chicken aside to cool off.
- Saute the onions in the oil until soft.
- Add the curry powder and vinegar and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the apricot jam and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from cooktop and set aside to cool off.
- Arrange the chicken in a serving dish (or break into smaller pieces first).
- Mix the mayonnaise with the cooled curry mixture and pour over the chicken.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Note: the flavour develops even better when you chill this overnight. Cooling time is not included in the timings.