1/2 Photos of Chicken in Coconut Sauce
1 hr 29 mins
1 hr 19 mins
In India, this recipe is known as malai murgh. The chicken simmers in a thick, spicy coconut sauce. If you want to use skinless chicken, you can, but please use bone in for best flavor. Wonderful for serving with Chapati, Indian flat bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 chicken, cut up, 2 1/2-3 lb
- 2 tablespoons usli ghee or 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cashews or 1 cup almonds, whole, blanched
- 1 tablespoon usli ghee or 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 (8 ounce) carton plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1Pour the boiling water over the coconut; set aside.
- 2In a large skillet brown the chicken pieces on both sides in 2 tbsp hot Usli Ghee or cooking oil for 15 minutes; remove from the skillet. Set chicken aside, reserving the drippings.
- 3Add the onion, garlic, and gingerroot to the drippings in the skillet; cook till onion is tender but not brown. Stir in coriander, turmeric, red pepper, cloves, and cardamom. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the coconut mixture and salt. Return the chicken to the skillet. Cover and simmer for 35 to 45 minutes or till the chicken is tender.
- 4Transfer the chicken to a heated serving platter; keep warm. Skim the fat from the juices in the skillet. In a small skillet heat the cashews or almonds in the 1 tbsp hot Usli Ghee for 1 to 2 minutes or till golden; stirring constantly.
- 5For the sauce, combine the yogurt, sour cream, and flour. Stir into the onion and juices in the skillet. Cook and stir just till thickened, but do not boil. Stir in cashews or almonds. Pour the sauce over the chicken. If desired, garnish with lime slices and mint sprigs. Serve with hot cooked rice and tomato chutney.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken in Coconut Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 464.3
- Calories from Fat 320
- Total Fat 35.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 88.3 mg
- Sodium 643.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 20.2 g