Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I've simplified and altered the original recipe to suit our tastes, and I think it's pretty good.
- 1 kg chicken thigh fillet, each cut into 4
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons almond meal
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Laos powder, optional
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 red chilies
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- 1 (440 ml) can light coconut milk
- 6 curry leaves
- 1 stalk lemongrass or 2 slices fresh lemon rind
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, salt, pepper, ginger, almond meal, coriander, cinnamon, cummin, and laos if used.
- Mix to a paste, adding a little oil if necessary.
- Rub paste into the chicken and set aside whilst you cook the onions.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the chillies and onions slowly until golden brown.
- Add the spiced chicken and cook until it changes colour.
- Add the coconut milk, curry leaves and lemon grass or rind and stir until it comes to the boil.
- Reduce heat and cook for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and tender.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice and season to taste with extra salt if necessary.
Excellent. I was nervous about trying this as I was missing several ingredients: Lemon grass, curry leaves, Laos powder and he chilies. My dh rarely has seconds and loved this. I added sambul to substitute for the red chilies, chopped the ginger finely instead of grating. Thanks so much.