Claire #3's Note:
Ricotta cheese in an Indian dish? Try it! You won't know it's there. Plus, it adds protein and cuts the fat in this flavorful chicken. Add a little dried red pepper if you prefer some heat. I like to serve it without the hot pepper, as it pairs better with a coconutty/vanilla Chardonnay.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped almonds or 1 tablespoon ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons dried coconut (dessicated, unsweetened)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (I used Kosher)
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger (if using powdered, use ½-1 tsp.)
- 1 -2 clove of minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil (one worked fine for me)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 lb chicken tenders, cut into chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom or 3 whole cardamom pods
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- 1Place almonds and coconut in a dry skillet and dry roast for 1-2 minutes or until almonds are golden and coconut is brown around edges.
- 2Spoon into a bowl.
- 3To coconut/almond mixture, add chili powder, salt, ginger, garlic, and coriander.
- 4Stir in ricotta cheese and coconut milk.
- 5Set aside.
- 6Heat 1-2 tablespoons oil in skillet.
- 7Add chicken chunks and cardamom and cook for 2-3 minutes to seal.
- 8Add coconut/cheese mixture to skillet and bring to a simmer.
- 9Lower heat, cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until chicken is done.
- 10Serve over rice and top with fresh cilantro.
Browse Our Top Coconut Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken in Coconut Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 254.8
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 80.1 mg
- Sodium 735.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 32.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
light coconut milk