Recipe by KelBel
From Cooking Light, September 2005. A nice twist on chicken marsala. Can substitute dried cranberries for the cherries and veal for the chicken.
- 2⁄3 cup dried cherries
- 2⁄3 cup marsala
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cherries and Marsala in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at high for 45 seconds, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and keep warm.
- Add butter to pan, and cook until butter melts. Add shallots and thyme; sauté 1 minute or until tender. Stir in broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add cherry mixture, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 5 minutes or until sauce is slightly thick. Add chicken back to sauce and turn to coat.
- Serve with brown rice.