Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This chicken dish has a deliciously thick and nutty sauce, and it is best served with plain boiled rice.
- 2 onions
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄3 cup cashews
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground chile
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon golden raisin
- 3 1⁄4 cups cubed chicken
- 2 1⁄4 cups button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Cut the onions into quarters and place in a food processor or blender, process for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste, cashews, garam masala, garlic, ground chilies, lemon juice, turmeric, salt and yogurt; process another 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a sauce pan, heat the oil - lower the heat to medium and pour in the spice mixture; fry for about 2 minutes, turning down the heat if needed.
- Add the fresh cilantro, golden raisins and cubed chicken and stir-fry for roughly 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and chicken broth and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Cover and cook over a low flame for about 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce becomes thick.
- Serve with plain boiled rice and garnished with freshly chopped cilantro.