Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
from "5 spices, 50 dishes" by ruta kahate.
Make and share this Chicken in Cashew Nut Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup water, divided
- 4 ounces unsalted raw cashews, finely ground
- 1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, tenderloins removed
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt, whisked
- heat 2 tb oil in medium skillet and fry onion until well browned. cool slightly and then use food processor to grind browned onion with 1/4 c water, cashews, ginger, garlic, and cayenne until it forms a smooth, thick paste.
- in large saucepan, heat remaining 1 tb oil along with butter. add cashew-onion paste and stir constantly over medium heat, deglazing the pan by adding a few tb water and using spatula to loosen browned bits until the sauce has browned evenly. this should take roughly 5 minute.
- thin out sauce with remaining 1/2 c water and stir in salt. add chicken and turn to coat well with sauce. simmer, covered, over low heat until chicken is cooked through but not overdone, 8-10 minute you can discreetly pierce the thickest part of the chicken with a pairing knife and check for doneness. carefully turn chicken over during cooking. turn off heat.
- remove chicken breats to serving platter, gently stir the yogurt into the sauce, and mix well. pour sauce over chicken and serve.