Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
from "5 spices, 50 dishes" by ruta kahate.
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup water, divided
- 4 ounces unsalted raw cashews, finely ground
- 1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, tenderloins removed
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt, whisked
- heat 2 tb oil in medium skillet and fry onion until well browned. cool slightly and then use food processor to grind browned onion with 1/4 c water, cashews, ginger, garlic, and cayenne until it forms a smooth, thick paste.
- in large saucepan, heat remaining 1 tb oil along with butter. add cashew-onion paste and stir constantly over medium heat, deglazing the pan by adding a few tb water and using spatula to loosen browned bits until the sauce has browned evenly. this should take roughly 5 minute.
- thin out sauce with remaining 1/2 c water and stir in salt. add chicken and turn to coat well with sauce. simmer, covered, over low heat until chicken is cooked through but not overdone, 8-10 minute you can discreetly pierce the thickest part of the chicken with a pairing knife and check for doneness. carefully turn chicken over during cooking. turn off heat.
- remove chicken breats to serving platter, gently stir the yogurt into the sauce, and mix well. pour sauce over chicken and serve.