This recipe is based on the dish from the Slanted Door restaurant in San Francisco. Flavorful and delicious!! (And pretty easy to make, too.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce or 1 teaspoon regular soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon slivered ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 small fresh Thai chiles or 2 small dried Thai chiles, broken in half
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large shallot, sliced
- 1 3/4 lbs skinless boneless dark chicken meat, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 lb skinless boneless white meat chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- steamed white rice
- 1 fresh cilantro, sprig for garnish
- 1In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, water, fish sauce, vinegar, sherry, garlic, soy sauce, ginger, black pepper, and chiles and mix well; set this sauce mixture aside.
- 2In a large pot over high temperature, heat the oil; add the sliced shallot and sauté until brown, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the chicken pieces and cook until slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add the sauce mixture to the pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid reduces by half, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- 5Put the steamed rice in a serving bowl or plate and spoon the chicken over it, garnish with cilantro sprig.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken in Caramel Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 394.6
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 159.1 mg
- Sodium 1711.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 28.5 g
- Protein 45.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: