Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From my favorite cookbook- The Roosevelt Raccoons "All of Our Favorites" cookbook. The cookbook contains recipes from active parents and teachers of Roosevelt Elementary School, Mankato, MN. It is where I went to school, and my family submitted all of our family favorites for it. So, we probably have 10 copies of the book in our house! This recipe was from Fahn Hakkila, a friend of ours.
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons black bean sauce
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb red bell peppers or 1 lb green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch square pieces
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 medium size onion, cut into wedges and layers separated
- Combine cornstarch, soy, sherry, and 1 teaspoon water in a bowl.
- Stir and coat chicken with this mix, then add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Prepare cooking sauce by mixing 1 tablespoon each soy sauce and cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and 1/2 cup chicken broth or water.
- Set aside.
- Heat wok or frying pan over high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil when pan is hot.
- Add black bean sauce and garlic to hot oil.
- Stir-fry chicken in this mixture until opaque (roughly 3 minutes)- Remove from pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil.
- When hot, add and stir-fry peppers and onion for 40 seconds.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon water and cook 1 minute.
- Return chicken to pan and cook, stirring until sauce boils and thickens.