1 hr 10 mins
I got this recipe from the Spanish Home Cooking cookbook. I normally use chicken thighs, but you could use any cut. Don't wash the chopped potatoes because their starch helps thicken the sauce. If you do rinse the potatoes, or leave them out altogether, you may have to add a bit of cornstarch near the end of the cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 -3 1/2 lbs cut up chicken pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 12 ounces lager beer
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1In a ziplock bag, mix the flour, 1 tsp of the salt and the pepper.
- 2Add the chicken pieces, seal the bag and shake up and down to coat the chicken.
- 3Heat oil in a large, fairly deep frying pan.
- 4Add chicken and cook on both sides until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- 5Remove chicken from the pan.
- 6Lower the heat slightly and add the onion, garlic and pepper to the pan.
- 7Sauté for a couple minutes, then add the carrots.
- 8Cook for another couple minutes, then add the tomatoes and remaining salt, if needed.
- 9Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 10Stir in the beer and potatoes.
- 11Top with the chicken and bring to a boil.
- 12Cover and let simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes.
- 13Remove the cover and cook for 5-10 minutes, until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- 14You can re-brown the chicken in a bit of oil in a second skillet, just before serving.
- 15I find it needs this"touch up" especially if it still has the skin on.
- 16Serve with your favourite green veggies.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken in Beer Sauce -- Pollo a la Cerveza
Serving Size: 1 (582 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 701.8
- Calories from Fat 345
- Total Fat 38.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 155.2 mg
- Sodium 1347.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 43.4 g