Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from the Spanish Home Cooking cookbook. I normally use chicken thighs, but you could use any cut. Don't wash the chopped potatoes because their starch helps thicken the sauce. If you do rinse the potatoes, or leave them out altogether, you may have to add a bit of cornstarch near the end of the cooking.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs cut up chicken pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 12 ounces lager beer
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- In a ziplock bag, mix the flour, 1 tsp of the salt and the pepper.
- Add the chicken pieces, seal the bag and shake up and down to coat the chicken.
- Heat oil in a large, fairly deep frying pan.
- Add chicken and cook on both sides until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pan.
- Lower the heat slightly and add the onion, garlic and pepper to the pan.
- Sauté for a couple minutes, then add the carrots.
- Cook for another couple minutes, then add the tomatoes and remaining salt, if needed.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the beer and potatoes.
- Top with the chicken and bring to a boil.
- Cover and let simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cover and cook for 5-10 minutes, until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- You can re-brown the chicken in a bit of oil in a second skillet, just before serving.
- I find it needs this"touch up" especially if it still has the skin on.
- Serve with your favourite green veggies.