Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a great recipe if you are entertaining. It was given to me by my great friend in the UK - Mark aka MGB. It is a really rich dish and the presentation is fantastic. Everyone loves it, and is amazed that there is no stock in the sauce.
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, quartered
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 7 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 12 ounces lager beer (not Budweiser!) or 12 ounces premium beer (not Budweiser!)
- 1 ounce gin
- salt and pepper
- 10 ounces single cream
- 2 tablespoons Guinness stout
- fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- Sauté the chicken pieces in 2 oz of butter and a little oil.
- Add the shallots and the mushrooms and continue to cook.
- When they are well browned, pour over the beer and the gin, season with salt and pepper and simmer on a gentle heat for about an hour, or until the chicken is tender.
- Shortly before serving, arrange the chicken pieces in separate a deep dish and keep hot.
- On a high heat, reduce the sauce by about half, then add the cream to thicken sauce, with the rest of the butter, whisking all the while.
- Whisk in the Guinness (it really makes a lot of difference), then pour back over the chicken and sprinkle the parsley.
- Serve with fresh pasta (I use shells, as they hold the sauce).
My, this was good ! I have recently discovered that cooking with beer is VERY tasty ! I just did 2 boneless breasts, for DH and me, so did not open a bottle of Guinness -- but followed the rest of the recipe as is. Only simmered the chicken in broth for 30 minutes, but it was so tender and tasty -- we truly enjoyed it. Had 2 russet potatoes, "baked" in the microwave for 4 min./side, instead of pasta, which absorbed the sauce nicely. Thanks, SoozieQ, for posting.
Very good recipe. The chicken is ABSOLUTELY amazing just by itself. The sauce is quite good, even though I don't like creamy sauces. I made it on top of penne. I find that it's hard to eat too much of it at once. However, the flavour is really good. It's somewhat strong, but that's ok by me.
Really nice dish! DH said WOW! and could not stop raving about this dish! Course it IS made with his favorite! BEER! lol Thank you for such a delicious and tasty recipe that dh will eat without saying .... grrrr, chicken again? He said he would eat this three times a week if I would make it! HIGH praise from him. I used my recipe #269311 in place of the cream here to make it a lighter. Used Samuel AdamsBoston Ale for the lager. We are not gin people but I bought a nip- small airline type bottle- just for this recipe. Inexpensive and now I dont have a big gin bottle around BUT since he loved this I may have to go get that big bottle just for this recipe! I was worried about the gin but after the review NcMystery left about the same, I was reassured. I would not make this without it as it addds that little something that makes you wonder what that wonderful undernote might be. Also, I did not have Guinness for the additional shot so I used 2 Tbsp of Samuael Adams - great excuse to break open another and have to finish the bottle! lol Thank you SoozieQ for a great recipe! Made for Holiday Beverage Tag!