Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Quick Cooking (now called Simple & Delicious). We love fresh basil, and grow some in our very little garden every year. Not only is this dish simple to prepare, it tastes delicious. I substitute evaporated fat-free or low-fat milk for the whipping cream to make it a bit healthier. I fyou pound your chicken to an even thickness (about 1/2") the times should be pretty accurate.
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimientos, sliced & drained
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Place milk and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls.
- Dip chicken in milk, then coat with crumbs. In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook chicken in butter on both sides until juices run clear, about 10-15 minutes (depends on thickness of your chicken breasts).
- Remove and keep warm.
- Add broth to the skillet.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; stir to loosen browned bits.
- Stir in the cream and pimientos; boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat.
- Add Parmesan cheese, basil and pepper; cook and stir until heated through.
- Pour over the chicken.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Just had this recipe tonight and it was very good! I pounded the breasts to a half of an inch and reduced the liquid a bit after adding the chicken broth. I also plated the chicken on top of rice. A rich and savory meal! Thanks Diva!
I've made this recipe a couple times and we love it! Nice for company also.
This was a big hit with the family after a few modifications. First, I pounded the chicken to about 1/2 inch thick then I just sauteed in coconut oil. I followed the rest of the recipe for the sauce substituting roasted red peppers for the pimentos because I didn't have any and it was wonderful! I was easy, really tasty, and it looks and smells wonderful!