Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I make this usually for Rosh Hashana. It's a good autumn dish
- 2 cups white flour
- 4 chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple juice
- 3 teaspoons orange rind
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- salt, pepper and mustard powder,to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- oil (for frying)
- Place the salt, pepper and mustard powder in a plastic bag with the flour.
- Shake the chicken in the bag until it is well coated with the seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan and saute the chicken on all sides.
- Remove and drain.
- Saute the onion.
- Add the apple juice and garlic.
- Add the rest of the seasonings, orange peel and chicken.
- Pour into an ovenproof dish and cook in a medium oven (180 degrees Celsius) for about 45 minutes.
This was a good recipe, easy to make, and turned out well. I felt something was missing... maybe some brown sugar (or is that just my sweet tooth talking?) or some sliced apple. Next time I will try adding both. I served with rice, broccoli and carrots.
This recipe is such a surprise! You have the savory side with onions, garlic, thyme and basil. Then you have a fruity side with the apple juice and orange peel. What and unusual and delcious dish!! Served this with sweet potatoes and broccoli. YUM! Thanks for posting, Mirj.
This is a really different and very tasty dish. My boyfriend wasn't looking very sure about it while I was making it, but he seemed to enjoy it. I loved how the apple juice thickened up into a lovely sauce during the time in the oven. I will definitely make some rice to go with it next time to use up all of that wonderful sauce. Thanks for the recipe!