Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from the Kitchen Daily website. The recipe was contributed by Mark Bittman. 1/2 cup fresh peas may be used in place of the snow peas.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves or 1 tablespoon chervil or 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 leeks, chopped and washed
- 4 spring onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 6 new potatoes (small to medium)
- 1 cup snow peas (trimmed)
- 4 small turnips, peeled and halved (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- minced fresh parsley leaves (to garnish)
- Over medium- high heat, heat the butter or oil in a large Dutch oven or casserole that can be covered later on.
- When the butter is melted or the oil is hot, place the chicken in the pot breast side down.
- Brown the chicken without burning- about 5 to 10 minutes. Turn on each of it's sides and brown some more, ending with the breast side up.
- On medium heat, add the herb, vegetables, salt and pepper, and stock or water.
- Simmer, covered over low heat, making sure the vegetables don't dry out. Water may be added if needed.
- Cook 30 to 45 minutes ( or until a thermometer measures at least 155 to 165 degrees F. Place on platter.
- If using, add the cream and boil liquid until saucy (this may happen immediately or as long as 10 minutes or so).
- Carve the chicken, place vegetables around it. Place sauce, if using, in a separate dish.