Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
From Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 2 starchy potatoes, skin left on and diced (recommended ( Idaho)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, with leafy green tops finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine, eyeball it
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken tenders, chopped
- 1 bunch pencil asparagus, trimmed of woody ends and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas, a couple of handfuls
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh tarragon, 4 to 5 sprigs, chopped
- Heat a large, deep skillet or a medium soup pot over medium high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil and butter.
- Melt butter into oil then add the potatoes, onions, celery and carrots, adding them to the pot as you chop them.
- Add bay leaf and season veggies with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning, cook 5 to 6 minutes to soften them a bit.
- Add flour and cook another minute then whisk in wine and cook off a minute more.
- Add stock and put a lid on the pan or pot and raise heat to bring to a quick boil.
- Slide in chicken and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in asparagus and cook 3 minutes more.
- Turn off heat and add the peas and tarragon.
- Stir to combine and adjust salt and pepper, to your taste.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with crusty bread for mopping.
I liked this okay, but I don't know that I would necessarily make it again. It tasted like it needed something, so I actually served it with Tabasco sauce and that helped a little. It just didn't taste that different from your everyday chicken soup, which isn't a bad thing, but it wasn't quite what I expected. Anyway, thank you for posting.
My daughter, who's only 14 years old, decided she wanted to surprise my husband and I with a nice dinner. She loves to watch Rachel Ray and asked if I could pick up some groceries from the market. I brought her all the stuff she needed and in 30 minutes she had a complete meal. Although I supervised her while she cooked, I was totally shocked and mostly so impressed! It was delicious! My husband loves this recipe as well. Thank you Rachel Ray.