6 hrs 55 mins
6 hrs 25 mins
America's Test Kitchen
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oil in a large skillet over med-high heat until shimmering.
- 2Add onion, garlic, and tomato paste; cook until onions are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- 3Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- 4Slowly whisk in wine and broth, scraping up any browned bits and smoothing out any lumps; transfer to slow cooker.
- 5Add thyme sprigs and bay leaves to slow cooker.
- 6Season chicken with salt and pepper and place, breast side down, in slow cooker.
- 7Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4-6 hours on LOW.
- 8Transfer chicken to cutting board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest for 20 minutes.
- 9Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- 10Strain liquid, discarding any solids, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Carve chicken and serve with sauce.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken in a Pot II
Serving Size: 1 (425 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 793.0
- Calories from Fat 502
- Total Fat 55.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 240.6 mg
- Sodium 243.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 57.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs