Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs 25 mins
America's Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped medium
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (4 1/2-5 lb) whole chickens, neck and giblets removed
- Heat oil in a large skillet over med-high heat until shimmering.
- Add onion, garlic, and tomato paste; cook until onions are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in wine and broth, scraping up any browned bits and smoothing out any lumps; transfer to slow cooker.
- Add thyme sprigs and bay leaves to slow cooker.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and place, breast side down, in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4-6 hours on LOW.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Strain liquid, discarding any solids, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Carve chicken and serve with sauce.