Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 1 (1 1/2 kg) chicken, oven-ready (wash and dry)
- 175 g shallots, peeled
- 175 g baby turnips, trimmed
- 175 g carrots, peel & cut into strips
- 2 stalks celery, trim,scrub & cut into chunky pieces
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- 4 bay leaves
- fresh tarragon sprig
- ground black pepper
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 25 g butter or 25 g margarine
- 25 g plain flour
- 2 -3 tablespoons cream
- Place both halves of the chicken brick in a sink and cover completely with cold water and leave for at least 30 min.
- (This ensures that brick does not dry out and crack during cooking.) Preheat oven to 190 degree C, 15 min before roasting the chicken in a brick.
- Place lemon pieces, some bay leaves, tarragon sprigs into clean chicken cavity.
- Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place half the prepared vegetables in the base of the drained chicken brick, then place chicken on top.
- Arrange remaining vegetables and the remaining bay leaves around the chicken.
- Pour the white wine and chicken stock over.
- Place lid of chicken brick on top to cover the chicken.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 1hr 30min or until the chicken is cooked.
- (Test by inserting a skewer into the thickest part of the chicken thigh. The juices should run clear.) Remove chicken brick from oven.
- For the sauce-------------------.
- Pour off cooking liquor and reserve in a bowl.
- Keep chicken and vegetables hot, covered, in the oven, while preparing the sauce.
- Place liquor in a small pan and bring to boil.
- Cream fat and flour together to make a beurre manie, then drop small amounts into boling liquor, whisking continuosly.
- When sauce is thickened, smooth and glossy, draw off the heat, stir in the cream, then reheat gently and season to taste.
- Serve with chicken, vegetables and rice or potatoes.