Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Poached chicken served in a wonderfully velvety lemon sauce
- 7 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 bunch bay leaf
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- cayenne pepper
- 1 chicken, weighing about 3 ½ lb
- 1 lemon
- 2 1⁄2 ounces butter
- 1 ounce plain flour
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, wiped clean
- 3 tablespoons double cream (heavy whipping cream)
- Put the chicken stock in a casserole dish large enough to hold the chicken, together with the herbs, sliced carrot, onion, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to the boil and lower the chicken into the stock.
- Allow to poach at a gentle simmer for 20 minutes.
- Put in the lemon rind (thinly pared) and the juice of the lemon and simmer for a further 20-25 minutes.
- Lift out the chicken, tipping it to drain off the liquid inside, and keep it hot.
- Strain the broth into a measuring jug.
- In a smaller pan, melt 1½ oz.
- of the butter and stir in the flour.
- Stir over a gentle heat until it sizzles.
- Add 20 oz. of the chicken broth, a little at a time, stirring between each addition.
- Simmer the resulting sauce for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, taste for seasoning and add the mushrooms, sliced and sautéed gently in the remaining butter for a few minutes until they are just tender.
- Lastly, stir in the cream and pour the sauce over the chicken.
Wanted to try something different over the weekend so decided to try this as i had all the ingreidents already in stock. Turned out great and i even had seconds. Thanks,