Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great looking recipe from USA Weekend
- 29.58 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 680.38 g chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and then sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml dry white wine (for an alcohol-free recipe, substitute 1/2 cup water)
- 453.59 g yukon gold potato, peeled and cubed
- 226.79 g small brown button mushroom
- 396.89 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 4 peperoncini chilies, seeded and cut into strips (Italian frying peppers)
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a flameproof baking casserole, heat the olive oil over medium heat, then cook the chicken thighs, skin side down, until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Turn the chicken thighs, add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Pour in the white wine and cook until it has nearly all evaporated, about 8 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, mushrooms, tomatoes, green and red bell peppers, chiles, and rosemary sprig. Place the chicken thighs on top of the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and cook until bubbling, about 30 minutes. Uncover and cook on medium until the potatoes are tender, about 1 hour, checking every 30 minutes. Taste and correct the seasoning and then serve.