Cook1 hr 50 mins
I don't eat pork so I made a kosher version of a very delicious meal. This is amazing and I always seem to be doubling this recipe--it disappears so fast on the table. If the chili powder is omitted, it's more of a chicken soup instead of a spicy soup.
- Brown chicken in oil in a pot.
- Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- Heat the pot to medium and add onion and garlic and sauté till the onion softens.
- Add chicken, chicken broth, oregano, salt and chili powder to pot.
- Reduce heat to low cover and cook for 90 minutes.
- Add hominy cook 15 more minutes.
- This is the time to check the seasonings and adjust to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls garnish with onion, cilantro,lime, cheese (get creative).
- Warm tortillas on the side always please the belly.
I can't believe I am the first one to rate this spicy chicken soup! It is DIVINE - I halved the recipe and used 1 can of white hominy. I did not spend 2 hours on this soup; it can be done in 40-45 minutes. I simmered after adding the browned chicken for 15 minutes and then another 15 minutes after adding the hominy... I just would never have had time to simmer a soup for 90 minutes. My DH was raving about it and said 'we've got to make this one again.' The chili powder makes it spicy while the hominy tones it down some. Made for PAC Spring 2008.