Recipe by Miss Annie
Indian-style spiced chicken and potatoes makes a delicious Indian dish, and this is a wonderful recipe. Though there are a number of spices in this curry it is not "hot" like many other Indian stews, just very flavorful. The turmeric tints the chicken and potatoes a brilliant yellow color (and will do the same to light-colored plastic cooking utensils). It can be made on top of the stove in a skillet also; you might want to halve or quarter the potatoes.
Top Review by JustJanS
Miss Annie, Russell cooked this for me for dinner tonight-scaled down to 2 servings-though he left the spice amounts the same. He also added 1 red chilli! This is a great dish, and we thank you for it!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 4 lbs meaty chicken pieces, skin removed
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs small red potatoes or 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs small white potatoes, peeled (Optional)
- hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a large roasting pan well, or line it with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Place the chicken pieces and potatoes in one layer in pan.
- Add oil to a saucepan and saute onions until clear.
- Add spices and water and heat for approximately 5 minutes.
- Pour the heated sauce mixture over the chicken and potatoes, and gently turn them so that they are coated.
- Cover the pan with foil, and place it in a 350ºF oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and baste the chicken and potatoes with sauce.
- Continue baking, uncovered, basting and turning the chicken and potatoes occasionally, about 10 to 20 minutes longer, or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender (but not mushy), and the sauce is thickened.
- If the sauce gets too dry before the end of the cooking period, add small amounts of water as needed.
- If necessary, adjust spices or seasonings before serving.
- Serve over rice with chutney if desired.