Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a really great recipe for Chicken Parmesan! Plan ahead, the chicken has to soak in the egg/water mix for 1 hour.... Try using smoked sliced ham for this, it's really good, although the recipe does call for ham, it is still really good made without it, just with the cheese and sauce on top of the breasts.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk or 3 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon grated onion
- 2 cloves, crushed or 2 minced fresh garlic
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup white flour
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (optional)
- 4 sliced ham
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups good quality pasta sauce (or to taste)
- Slightly beat together the eggs, milk (or water), salt, pepper, onion and garlic.
- Let the chicken soak in the egg/milk mixture for 1 hour.
- Mix the crumbs with herbs, grated Parmesan cheese, and (more salt and pepper if desired, I use seasoning salt).
- Remove the breasts from egg mixture.
- Roll in flour, then dip in the egg/milk mixture, then roll/coat in the breadcrumb/Parmesan mixture (shaking off extra crumbs).
- Fry the chicken in oil until cooked; drain on paper towels.
- Arrange breasts in a baking dish side by side.
- Top each breast with a slice of ham, then two slices (can use one if desired) of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with pasta sauce (any amount desired).
- Bake for 20-22 minutes.