Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is adapted from a recipe I found on a website called Irish Abroad. Posted for ZWT 8 Great Britain/Ireland
- 1 whole chicken (cooked)
- 1 cup ham (cooked and diced)
- 4 leeks (washed and chopped, light green and white parts only)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pie crust, 9 inch
- 1. Take the chicken off the bone in large pieces. In a deep dish pie plate,
- make alternate layers of chicken, ham and leeks.
- 2. In a saucepan over medium heat melt the butter and add the onions. Saute
- until the onions are soft. Stir in the flour and mustard and cook for a few
- minutes. Slowy add the chicken broth and cream, stirring until it is thickened.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, ham and leeks in the pie pan.
- 3. Roll out the pie crust until it is slightly larger than the pie plate.
- Dampen the edges of the pie plate and cover with the pie crust. Crimp the edges
- and cut holes for steam.
- 4. Bake in a preheated 350 F oven until the crust is lighty browned, about 25 to
- 30 minutes.
This was simply excellent, and sold me on making pot pies, as long as I use this sauce (only 3 Tbsp. butter). I used moist, tasty chicken and stock from Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken, and ham left over from Ham With Ginger Crust. The finely minced onion made up the bulk of the sauce (I used the medium shredder on my Verona Assistent food processor) to great success. The leeks were the perfect counterpoint to the chicken and ham. DH and I are agreed that we would like to have this again and again. Thank you for sharing. Made for The Wild Bunch of ZWT8 for its trip to Britain.