Recipe by AskCy
Any Greek/Cypriot holiday will at some point have seen "Gyros" a snack type dish with chicken done over charcoal added to a pitta bread (or sometimes other wraps and breads). Here is how to make a good tasting chicken at home without having a charcoal grill.
- 750 g chicken breast fillets
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 lemons (juice and a little of the zest)
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all the ingredients in a large dish.
- place the chicken breasts in whole and give them a good coating.
- cover and leave in the fridge for at least 2 hours (overnight if possible).
- Preheat the griddle pan as hot as it goes.
- Place the chicken in and let it cook on one side for 5 minutes.
- Turn it over and cook for another 5 minutes.
- brush with more of the marinade and turn again (repeat one more time so its cooked in total for 20 minutes).
- Slice the chicken into thick slices.
- get a freshly warmed pitta bread and layer up with some salad and the chicken (as much as you can get in).
- add sauce if you like (lemon juice, tahini, mayo, chilli, garlic etc).