Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Tender marinated chicken and a creamy cucumber yogurt sauce tucked into a pita, topped with lettuce and tomato if you like. Sounds like a great lunch to me! Cooked in or outside! Note: time to make does NOT include 1 hour marinating time. from TOH... ZWT Greek and US Regional - East Coast
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic, minced- divided use
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat yogurt, plain or 1⁄3 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 gyro bread or 2 pita bread
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Combine lemon juice, oil, 1/2 t of the garlic, mustard and oregano in a gallon zip top plastic bag.
- Add chicken and seal bag.
- Turn bag and gently move chicken around to distribute marinade evenly.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- In a small bowl combine cucumber, yogurt, dill and remaining garlic. Cover and refrigerate until serving. (NOTE: Cucumbers have a lot of moisture in them so if you want your sauce to be less runny really drain them well and squeeze the water out if you want.).
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade.
- In a large nonstick skillet saute the chicken for 7-8 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Spoon half the chicken on each pita and top with cucumber mixture and sliced onion.
- Lettuce and tomato may be added if you like.
- Fold in half and enjoy.
Did not like this at all. Chicken was too lemony, and the sauce was too bitter.
We were disappointed in this. The chicken was good, but we did not care for the sauce. This could be because we frequent the best greek place in the state and are used to their sauce. I'll keep the marinade recipe (the fresh lemon juice makes it!!), but I think I will look for another sauce.
I liked this recipe, I substituted the dry mustard for French's yellow mustard, added tb spoon of salt and paprika and let it marinade for 2 hours. It was delicious, I did not make the sauce because BJ's has a great Tsaiki sauce. I will definitely make this again, it was quick and easy.