Tender marinated chicken and a creamy cucumber yogurt sauce tucked into a pita, topped with lettuce and tomato if you like. Sounds like a great lunch to me! Cooked in or outside! Note: time to make does NOT include 1 hour marinating time. from TOH... ZWT Greek and US Regional - East Coast
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic, minced- divided use
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat yogurt, plain or 1⁄3 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 gyro bread or 2 pita bread
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Combine lemon juice, oil, 1/2 t of the garlic, mustard and oregano in a gallon zip top plastic bag.
- Add chicken and seal bag.
- Turn bag and gently move chicken around to distribute marinade evenly.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- In a small bowl combine cucumber, yogurt, dill and remaining garlic. Cover and refrigerate until serving. (NOTE: Cucumbers have a lot of moisture in them so if you want your sauce to be less runny really drain them well and squeeze the water out if you want.).
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade.
- In a large nonstick skillet saute the chicken for 7-8 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Spoon half the chicken on each pita and top with cucumber mixture and sliced onion.
- Lettuce and tomato may be added if you like.
- Fold in half and enjoy.