1/5 Photos of Chicken Gyros
Northern Cook's Note:
I've had this recipe for years and make this on a regular basis. It's pretty healthy and easy to make. It's a good lunch item or an easy weeknight meal. This is not a fancy meal by any means. It is just a good basic recipe to have on rotation. The original recipe came from a small cookbook you get in the check-out lane at the grocery store. I think the name of the book was Quick & Healthy Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces nonfat plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup peeled seeded and diced cucumber
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 pita bread rounds (I get the whole, not the half with pockets) or 4 greek pita bread rounds
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- red onion, sliced
- 1In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, cucumbers, scallions and half of the garlic. Cover and refrigerate.
- 2In another small bowl, stir together lemon juice, oregano, and the remaining garlic. Put lemon juice mixture in a ziplock bag with the chicken and let marinate for 10 minutes.
- 3Wrap pitas in tin foil and place in 350 degree oven for approximately 5 minutes. I just leave in the oven until the chicken is done cooking.
- 4Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook until it is lightly browned on both sides and cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes. **OR** Grill chicken breasts over open flame for about 4-5 minutes per side. I always grill my chicken and it turns out great. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and cut into thin 2-inch long strips.
- 5Place a lettuce leaf and a quarter of the chicken on each pita bread. Top each with a tomato slice and some sliced red onions and a quarter of the yogurt mixture. Fold each pita around its filling and wrap each with foil to secure. Serve immediately with a side of the yogurt sauce for dipping.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Gyros
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.1
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 73.7 mg
- Sodium 506.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 33.7 g