Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
These gyro/wraps taste so light and refreshing. I make these for parties and quick get togethers, slice them up on the diagonal and hold the wrap closed with a tooth pick. In the photo I used tortilla wraps only because they can be folded easily- but they are awesome with pita bread...speaking of pita bread, watch out for my recipe for homemade tortillas, pitas and naan bread that I'll be posting soon. P.S. I used salt and Mrs. Dash's table blend seasoning mix to season my chicken but receipezaar doesn't recognize it.. so I'm mentioning it here- you can use the other seasonings I wrote too.
- 3 chicken breasts or 5 chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 14 large flour tortillas
- 7 romaine lettuce leaves, washed etc. and sliced lengthwise into two halves
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced (optional but tastes great!)
- 1 -2 tomatoes, sliced into semi-circles
- 1⁄2 a small red onion, halved and sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a skillet over med-high heat sauté chicken cubes seasoned with Mrs. Dash`s table blend seasoning or Greek spices, salt and pepper according to your own tastes.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the avocado, tomato, onion and lettuce, set aside. Also, prepare the sour cream by mixing in salt and pepper to taste, set aside.
- Once the chicken is done and has a nice carmelized color and the pan has a sticky coating on the bottom, deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup of water or stock and get all the sticky bits off the bottom of the pan. Let this tasty broth reduce and coat the chicken pieces -- this adds so much flavor to the meat you could use this chicken in a meal alone!
- Once the chicken has cooled for 10 mins., on a large cutting board dice the the chicken into smaller pieces. This helps to fold your wraps easier later and it evenly distributes the chicken into each bite.
- Wrap assembly: On each tortilla put a tablespoon of seasoned sour cream, 2 tablespoons diced chicken, 1 slice of lettuce, 2 tomato pieces, and 2 avocado slices. Close the sides on the wrap and then roll the bottom flap over the top of the ingredients and tuck it in as you roll it up completely.
- With seam side down cut each tortilla into half diagonally and secure each wrap shut with a tooth pick.