Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is definately a SOUP type Chicken Gumbo.. I put in the stuff I like and call it a day. Ingredient amount are not cut and dried.. Add or subtract as you like.
- 2 cups cooked skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 4 cups water
- 1 quart un-drained stewed tomatoes (contains Celery, Onions & Green Peppers)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup white rice
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen okra
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- Put 4 + - Cups water in soup pot. Add chicken and cook 'til done.
- Remove chicken from stock when done and cut up however you like.
- Return chicken to the 4 cups chicken stock and add everything else EXCEPT the Frozen Okra.
- Return to the boil then simmer 'til done (20 minutes + - or when rice is tender) Stirring & Tasting as you go and adjust any seasonings to your taste.
- Near the end, add the frozen Okra. The Okra will get mushy if you overcook it.
- Park on the back of the stove, Remove Bay leaf and enjoy when you are ready. Refrigerate when cool.