2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Bob Crouch's Note:
I found this recipe on the label of a soup pot I purchased a long long time ago. It has been a favorite especially on cold winter nights when served with a crisp green salad and some crunchy bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken (boiled, cooled, boned, chopped)
- 3/4 cup green pepper (diced)
- 1 cup yellow onion (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 4 cups canned tomatoes (whole or diced)
- 1/3 cup parsley (minced)
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice (NOT INSTANT)
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can okra (drained) or 1 package frozen okra
- cayenne pepper
- 1Place chicken in large pot with enough water to cover.
- 2Simmer on medium heat until done, approximately 1 hr 20 minutes.
- 3Remove chicken, cool, bone, and chop.
- 4Retain the stock for the soup.
- 5In a medium pan add margarine and saute green pepper, onions and celery until tender, approximately 8 minutes and then add to chicken stock reserved from boiling the chicken.
- 6You'll need about 3 quarts of stock.
- 7You can add canned or use chicken cubes if you don't have enough stock.
- 8Add tomatoes, parsley, salt, pepper,& bay leaf,to the stock and bring to a simmer.
- 9Add rice and coninue simmering until rice is done.
- 10Approximately 20 minutes.
- 11When the rice is done, add Okra, chicken and cayenne (to taste).
- 12Adjust seasonings and serve.
- 13If the broth tastes wimpy add chicken cubes.
- 14I know it's cheating, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (578 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.4
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 78.1 mg
- Sodium 1142.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 26.0 g