Prep 15 mins
Cook 52 mins
Heart healthy recipes
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 cup white potato, cubed (1/2 lb)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, coarsely chopped (1/2 lb)
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium carrot, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 stalks scallions, chopped
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper (or jalapeno)
- 1 cup okra, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces (1/2 lb)
- Add oil to a large pot.
- Heat pot over medium flame.
- Stir in flour.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until flour begins to turn golden brown.
- Slowly stir in all the broth using a wire whisk and cook for 2 minutes. The mixture should not be lumpy.
- Add all ingredients except okra.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add okra and let cook for 15 to 20 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve hot in a bowl or over rice.