Recipe by MS MAUI
This is for dluna. It is the same as Dusty Byrd's, except I use chicken instead of turkey.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 (6 ounce) skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen cut okra, thawed
- 3 1⁄2 cups hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place flour in a 10- inch iron skillet with enough oil to make a roux. Be sure it is good and brown without burning.
- Combine chicken and water in a large dutch.
- oven and boil for 20 minute.
- Combine onion, green pepper, celery, garlic and 1/3 chicken broth in dutch oven.
- cook over medium heat until veggies are tender.
- add browned flour and 1 cup chicken broth.
- stir until blended.
- gradually stir in remaining broth.
- add green onions.
- add next 7 ingredients.
- remove chicken from bones.
- chop into bite size pieces.
- add to dutch oven.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring ocasionally.
- remove bay leaves.
- Serve Gumbo with Rice.
- yield: 10 servings 1 cup gumbo with 1/3 cup rice.