Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Cooking Light. Serving size: 1 1/2 c. soup. Per serving: 248 calories, 5.6 g fat, 19.1 g protein, 25.1 g carb, 4.8 g fiber, 45 mg cholesterol. Note: the chicken legs should be chicken thigh-leg quarters but the editing software won't let me say it like that.
Top Review by Tequila12
This turned out more like a soup than a stew, it either needs more chicken and chili's or less broth and water. The taste is wonderful and I did use fresh chilis but I bought boneless skinless thighs. I think next time I will use boneless,skinless chicken breast and about 2 cups less fluid.
- 6 anaheim chilies
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3 chicken legs, skinned (about 1 3/4 lb.)
- 1 3⁄4 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 6 lime slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the broiler.
- Cut each chile in half, discard the seeds and membranes.
- Put halves skin side up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand.
- Broil 5 minutes or until blackened.
- Place in a heavy-duty zip-lock plastic bag and seal.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Peel chiles and discard skin; chop chiles and set aside.
- Heat to oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add in chicken, cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Remove chicken from the pot and set aside; add in onion and garlic to the pot; stir/saute 6 minutes or until browned.
- Return chicken to the pot; add in broth, 1 1/2 cups water, and cumin; bring to a simmer.
- Cook 20 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken and let cool slightly; remove chicken meat from bones and cut meat into bite-sized pieces (throw away the bones).
- Add chicken back to the pot; stir in chopped chiles and beans.
- Combine 1/2 cup water and flour, stirring with a whisk to blend.
- Stir mixture into chicken mixture; bring to a simmer; cook 15 minutes.
- Stir in salt.
- Spoon approx 1 1/2 cups soup into individual bowls; top each with 1 1/2 teaspoons sour cream.
- Serve with lime slices.