Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A friend from my church invited me for Sunday Dinner and this was one of the dishes she served. She gladly shared the recipe with me and I will share it with you.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 -2 teaspoon soya sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shredded parmesan cheese (divided)
- 8 cups fresh cut green beans, cooked and drained
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- Stir and cook together the first seven ingredients for about 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in 1/3 cup parmesan cheese until melted.
- Add beans and chicken, tossing to coat.
- Put into a greased baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degF for 15- 18 minutes.
I wasn't overly thrilled with this recipe. My kids and I ate it and it just didn't have a lot of flavor. I was really hopeful because the sauce seemd to be turning out well. But before the DH got home to eat it, I added lots of "grated" parmesan cheese (I think the shredded just lacks flavor) and some seasoning salt and worcestershire sauce. I think my additions made it a lot better. I probably won't make this one again. It just didn't have enough "oomph" for me. Thanks!
This is excellent. The sauce is so good because it is made from "scratch" rather than from a can of condensed soup. I use 2 tsp soya sauce and omit the salt. I also mix about 1 Tbs melted butter with 1/2 cup bread crumbs and sprinkle that on top, and then put the parmesan cheese on top of that. I serve it over egg noddles. This is one of only a few recipes that everyone in my family (kids included) will actually happily eat. For that reason alone I would give it 10 stars if I could!
I cut the recipe in half. I was unable to find fresh cut green beans and had to sub frozen. I used non-fat milk and the sauce was nice and creamy. I couldn't help myself, I sprinkled the top with a few tablespoons of herb stuffing mix for crunch. Thanks.