Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This chicken dish is a little fancier than most of the old stand-bys, but it's perfect if you want to serve a nice meal to company or for a celebration.
For Spicy Red Pepper Sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1⁄2 cup tomato puree
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 16 large fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled gorgonzola
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- basil leaves (to garnish)
- For Spicy Red Pepper Sauce: Place all ingredients in a blender container and process until almost smooth. Pour sauce into a medium saucepan and heat over medium-low heat to warm while preparing chicken.
- For Chicken: Gently pound chicken breasts to 1/4-inch thickness and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Turn breasts cut-side up. Place 4 basil leaves over each chicken piece, covering completely. Sprinkle 2 TB of cheese over basil.
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, toast the nuts until lightly browned, shaking pan occasionally, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle 1/2 TB pine nuts over each chicken piece.
- Starting at the short end, roll each chicken breast tightly in a jellyroll fashion and secure with wooden toothpicks.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet you used for the nuts. Heat over high heat, then add chicken and saute, turning frequently, for about 10 minutes or until brown on all sides.Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- To serve, spoon Spicy Red Pepper Sauce evenly over 4 individual serving plates. Slice each chicken roll inot 1/2-inch slices and arrange, overlapping slices slightly, on top of sauce. Garnish with basil leaves.