Recipe by Miss Daisy
Giblets : The edible inner parts of poultry, including the gizzard, heart, liver and kidneys ....... This recipes was devised to use up all the giblets left over from home slaughtered chickens! You can use either giblets or just livers in this recipe. However, the cooking time for giblets is longer than that for livers. Giblets need 15 - 20 minutes, but the livers should be added only 5 - 8 minutes before serving. Have lots of fresh bread and rolls on hand to dip into the sauce!
Top Review by krwink
Delicious - even my kids loved it. I used mirin for the wine, and only used the chicken livers. I didn't have the peri-peri (not sure what that is) but it didn't seem to lack anything. A sweet savory flavor that would also make a wonderful pate if pureed.
- 1 kg chicken giblets (or livers)
- 20 ml olive oil
- 2 ml cumin, ground
- 1 ml clove, ground
- 5 ml paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper
- piri-piri, whole or ground
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 100 ml white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the giblets and/or livers in the olive oil until brown.
- Add the spices and seasonings and stir well.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add wine and simmer gently until cooked.
- If you are cooking giblets only, a little water may be added if necessary.