Recipe by Wendy's Kitchen
A simple and delicious recipe from Epicurious. Some readers added drained marinated artichoke just before adding the wine. Others used preserved lemon.
Top Review by andreafortunoff
This is good recipe. I used skinless chicken thighs and added artichoke hearts and mushrooms when I put in the wine and it came out great. Because I like spicy food I also added a little more pepper. The chicken was moist and my husband loved it. Easy and flavorful!
- 12 chicken pieces
- 2 onions, chopped
- needles from 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 5 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- about 1 . 4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
- 1 lemon
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the chicken pieces in a 12-inch skillet (preferably nonstick) with a lid, along with the chopped onions, rosemary, and sage. Stir well to coat the chicken with the onion and herbs. Add enough olive oil to coat all of the chicken pieces, but not so much that it pools in the skillet. Sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Set the skillet over medium heat. Cook until the onions are very soft and the chicken and onions have turned golden brown, about 20 minutes. If the onion begins to brown too fast, turn down the heat. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pan, and simmer gently until the chicken is tender, about 20 minutes. Squeeze the lemon over, taste for salt and pepper, and serve.