Recipe by Chef JessicaRHorne
Chicken-fried doesn’t actually have chicken in it; it’s a cutlet, battered and fried in a skillet like fried chicken, hence the name. A very healthy version and my meat eating husband ate all of his so this is definitely a keeper. Taken from www.chowvegan.com
- 1 lb fresh firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Old Bay Seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the tofu into 1/4″ slices and wrap in paper towels. Place a weight on top for about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the nutritional yeast and breadcrumbs and mix well. Dip the tofu slices in the soy sauce and place in the breadcrumbs mixture, coat well on both sides. Place coated pieces on a oiled baking pan.
- Season to taste with Old Bay and salt. Bake for 15 minutes, turn over, season and bake for another 15 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Serve immediately with creamy gravy on the side.