Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is the best one for Chicken Fried Steak that I have tried. I got it from an old Southern Cooking cookbook and have been making it for years. I love the gravy! I use round steak when I make this. Prep time is estimated.
- 1 3⁄4 lbs round steaks, sliced 1/2 inch thick or 6 cube steaks (about 1-3/4 lbs.)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 -6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (about)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Pound steak to 1/4" thick or ask butcher to tenderize; cut into 6 pieces, if using round steak.
- Beat eggs and water together in pie plate.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper on wax paper.
- Dip steaks in egg mixture.
- Dip in seasoned flour mixture to coat well.
- Brown meat, 3 pieces at a time, in hot oil on both sides in a large heavy skillet.
- Return all meat to skillet; lower heat; cover.
- Cook 20 minutes or until tender.
- Remove steaks to a heated platter.
- To prepare pan gravy, pour off all but 3 tblsp.
- of the pan drippings; blend in flour.
- Stir in milk, salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking and stirring until gravy thickens and bubbles for 1 minute.
- If gravy is too thick, add more milk.
This is EXACTLY the same recipe I use. Who'da thunk it! I got mine from a friend, and it is so good, that I know use it for pork chops, also! (special request by hubby!)
I used cube steak and didn't change an thing on this recipe. It was pretty good but I think I cooked the meat too long because it was a little tough. The flavor was wonderfull though. The only thing I didn't like was my messy kitchen.LOL Thanks again!
This did take a bit of time, but the recipe was good. I didn't to much care for the breading, because it fell off during cooking, but everyone else said it was wonderful! Thanks!