This recipe is the best one for Chicken Fried Steak that I have tried. I got it from an old Southern Cooking cookbook and have been making it for years. I love the gravy! I use round steak when I make this. Prep time is estimated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 lbs round steaks, sliced 1/2 inch thick or 6 cube steaks (about 1-3/4 lbs.)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 -6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1Pound steak to 1/4" thick or ask butcher to tenderize; cut into 6 pieces, if using round steak.
- 2Beat eggs and water together in pie plate.
- 3Mix flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper on wax paper.
- 4Dip steaks in egg mixture.
- 5Dip in seasoned flour mixture to coat well.
- 6Brown meat, 3 pieces at a time, in hot oil on both sides in a large heavy skillet.
- 7Return all meat to skillet; lower heat; cover.
- 8Cook 20 minutes or until tender.
- 9Remove steaks to a heated platter.
- 10To prepare pan gravy, pour off all but 3 tblsp.
- 11of the pan drippings; blend in flour.
- 12Stir in milk, salt and pepper.
- 13Continue cooking and stirring until gravy thickens and bubbles for 1 minute.
- 14If gravy is too thick, add more milk.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Fried Steak With Pan Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.1
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 154.4 mg
- Sodium 706.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 35.8 g