Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
The BEST chicken fried steak ever! I use this method for frying chicken as well, Enjoy with some veggies and fluffy mashed potatoes.
- 4 cube steaks
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 dash paprika
- 1 tablespoon seasoned garlic salt
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 package fresh sliced mushroom
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk (depending on amount of gravy desired)
- Mix flour, breadcrumbs, parmesean cheese, and seasonings in a bowl.
- Dip steaks into a small amount of milk and then dredge in the flour mixture.
- Place 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil in frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook steaks for 5 minutes on one side (cooking time depends on thickness of steak).
- The juices from the steak might soak up the flour, so before you flip the steaks add some more of the flour mixture, patting it down with a spatula.
- When brown, flip over and continue to cook for another 3 mintues (again cooking time varies).
- When finished cooking, remove steaks and keep warm.
- FOR GRAVY:.
- Once steaks are finished cooking add a small amount of oil (most of oil, if not all, will have been used in cooking the steaks) and cook the mushrooms.
- Add 1/4 water, salt&pepper, and continue cooking.
- Make sure to get all of the scraps from the sides of the pan that the steaks left into the liquid you are cooking the mushrooms in.
- When most of liquid is cooked off, sprinkle remaining flour over mushrooms and cook for 1 minute.
- Add milk and cook until thickened to your liking.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and enjoy!
This was absolutely delicious! Chicken Fried Steak is one of my husband's favorite meals, and he devoured this! I cut the flour and breadcrumbs in 1/2 and had plenty to cover 4 steaks. The fresh mushrooms gave the dish a great flavor boost. The gravy was super! Thanks for a great recipe! Will make this again!
This was a real hit in our house, I used rump steak and only used 3/4 cup of flour and breadcrumbs. The steak was lovely and tender, loved the crisp outside, and the mushroom gravy was delicious. Thanks for posting. =)
Yummy! I made this as directed except that I cut everthing back for one serving. Simple and tasty comfort food. Thanks diamonds4heather. Made for Adopt A Tag 2009.